linqtotwitter oauth

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:56 AM
Edited Sep 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Is TwitterContext to be used with twitter for Oauth? It seems to have a lot of Oauth named properties etc, but using that did not work.

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Hi,

There are examples in the solution that contains the source code.  What problems are you having?

Joe

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM
Edited Sep 11, 2010 at 11:01 PM

TwitterContext has several Oauth properties (and some methods) but not token or tokensecret. I reviewed Twitter's wiki on how to use their oauth and searching the LinqToTwitter source didn't yield , and your codeplex doc pages on oauth are empty (since March or May). Searching the source does not yield "oauth_verifier" - the oauth PIN method that I was going to use. A post that I saw somewhere said you had implemented PIN support.

I did see your sample for Oauthtwitter for the token/tokensecret and I may try that, but since I was able to find info on tweetsharp "more easier" I used it for now.

LinqToTwitter's codeplex page gives the plaintext login example (which is no longer support by twitter). It also mentions using DotNetOpenAuth (and it fully supports twitter oauth) but I don't see references to it.. are you including some of the dotnetopenauth source files in the linqtotwitter project or copying code?

Not trying to be critical, just trying to understand and I saw several other unanswered posts here too...

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Twitter deprecated basic auth at the end of August, so that's not going to work. We're in the process of removing basic auth from the code so people don't get confused, trying to use something that won't work anymore.  To get this working, you can go here and register an app:

http://dev.twitter.com/apps

This will give you access to your own tokens, key and secret.  The LinqToTwitterDemo project, in the LINQ to Twitter source code solution, works with PIN support.  All you need to do is put your tokens in the appSettings of App.config and run.  Stepping through the code in the Main method of Program.cs, you'll see which parts of the code to pull out into your own app.

I've been busy lately. While there's been a slow down, the project is far from dead.  It would be nice to have more volunteers to help out.

Joe