Post Update to friend

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Hi

My web application has gone through all of the oAuth process and i can get a list of tweets for a given user 

My page shows a list of tweets for a given user and what I would like is for the user to be able to post an update ( using UpdateStatus() ) to this users status.

Is this possible to do?

All I seem to be able to do is post to my own status, i thought this UpdateStatus(string status, string inReplyToStatusID) would allow to achive this, but again it only posts to my stsaus and not the status of the user I am viewing.

Thanks

Kev

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Hi Kev,

UpdateStatus will post on behalf of the authenticated user.  So, whoever's credentials you used for OAuth is the person who the UpdateStatus will be made for.

This is one of the primary reasons for OAuth - for the user to explicitly give you permission to operate on their behalf.

Tip: After a user authenticates with OAuth the first time, grab thier credentials from the authorizer and save them for reuse.  This will avoid needing to do the OAuth dance every time thereafter.

@JoeMayo

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Hi Joe

Thanks for your quick reply & thanks for the great library.

All of my OAuth is taken care of & i have saved the credentials in my db, which i then retrieve, which like you says avoids the OAuth dance for future requests.

So after the authenication has taken place, which I can verify by testing auth.IsAuthorized I get a list of tweets for say NewYorkTimes, at the bottom of the list of tweets i have a textbox, which i would like the user to be able to post an update the the NewYorkTimes status, on success the list will refresh, showing the users tweet.

The user must be a follower of NewYorkTimes to be able to publish an update.

Does this seem possible?

Thanks

Kev

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Yes, I think a Friendship Exists query would be good for this:

http://linqtotwitter.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Examining%20if%20a%20Friendship%20Exists&referringTitle=Handling%20Friendships

Joe