Division of the returns on pages in requests to the Twitter API

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Hello Joe,

My name is Sávyo Vinícius de Morais, and I'm developing an application at the DND Tecnologia company using the Twitter API.

With this App, I intend to make an qualitative and quantitative analyses about tweets according with some criteria yet to be defined further.

Considering that when requests are made using the Search API whatever filter the results returned are divided into a maximum of 100 pages of tweetsthus forcing usif necessarymake other requests.

So far so goodbut if one of my research results are available compatíeis 4000With this amount of tweetsI need to make more requests than it is within the limits stipulated that Twitter imposesleaving me in a risk situation, where if I do all my requests this IP will be blocked from making further requests temporarily/definitely.

I wonder if this restriction of up to 100 tweets per request is an option LinqToTwitter or whether it is an imposition of the Twitter API, and if the first is true, what alternative would have to have my wish fulfilled.

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Hi Sávyo Vinícius de Morais,

Your assessment is correct that this is a limitation of the Twitter API. An alternative would be to use a filter stream, which LINQ to Twitter supports.  You can find examples of the filter stream in the LinqToTwitterDemo project of the downloadable source code. The stream returns Javascript - and here's a project, UserStreamParser, that helps parse the results: http://userstreamex.codeplex.com/.

Joe

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Joe,

I saw the examples that come along with the source code, but even replicating the code I can not get no return. Is there any documentation that explains this better class Stream?

I also tried to make the query otherwise, but like the first time, not getting the desired results.

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

One of the ways I approach this is to open Fiddler to view the HTTP traffic, which sometimes reveals something with Twitter's response.  Before posting anything in forums though, make sure you sanitize the HTTP headers so they don't contain keys or passwords.

Which Stream sample were you using?

Joe