InreplystatusToStatusID

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

When replying to a tweet do we .UpdateStatus with the UserID or the StatusID? becuase the statusID looks different than the UserID?

thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Hi,

You would use the StatusID, identifying the tweet being replied to.  The replied to user is implied by the fact that they are the one who tweeted the status being replied to.

Joe

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

For whatever reason, when I post an Update and supply a StatusID, it's not being recognized a by Twitter as a Reply. It's simply posting a new status update.

I'm calling

using (var twitterCtx = new TwitterContext(_auth, _baseUrl, _searchUrl))               
{
twitterCtx.UpdateStatus(message, socialid);                                    
}

socialid is being passed a valid value, but it's not replying. 

Any ideas? It's the only issue in my way. 

Many thanks,

-D

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Hi D,

The only think I can think of is to make sure that socailid is the StatusID of the tweet you're replying to.

Joe

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Thanks, Joe,

Yeah, I'm passing in the status id. Twitter still only recognizes it as a tweet and not a reply-tweet...

I'll do some more digging and get back if I find the solution.

Thanks again!

-D

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Oct 11, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I copied this to a work item to remind me to take a second look at it.

Joe

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Thanks, Joe!! I've tried everything with the same result.

-D

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2012 at 4:09 AM

I might know what the problem is.  You must include the screen name of the user being replied to.  Here's an example:

private static void UpdateStatusWithReplyDemo(TwitterContext twitterCtx)
        {
            var tweet = twitterCtx.UpdateStatus(
                "@JoeMayo Testing LINQ to Twitter with reply on " + DateTime.Now.ToString() + " #linqtotwitter",
                "249241028782088193");

Console.WriteLine(
                "(" + tweet.StatusID + ")" +
                "[" + tweet.User.ID + "]" +
                tweet.User.Name + ", " +
                tweet.Text + ", " +
                tweet.CreatedAt);
        }

In the example above, the authenticated account is replying to a tweet with a status ID of 249241028782088193, which was sent by @JoeMayo. Notice that @JoeMayo is part of the tweet, which is required. Otherwise, the tweet will be just a normal tweet, rather than a reply.

Joe 

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

That, sir, worked! 

Thanks so much, Joe!!

-D