Pulling and displaying tweets/timeline so it looks just like twitter.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Hi I am new to Microsoft Visual Studio and am looking to do some development with the twitter api..

Some of the functionality i'm looking to implement is the ability to list a number of twitter users and their timelines with the functionality to reply/follow the users from the site)

The first NuGet package that I tried "TweetSharp" worked good however I have not figured out how to return more then just the text of tweets I would like it to embed the actual twitter timelines or tweets into my page. 

This may be possible but i'm new to Visual Studio and working with API's and am looking for some guidance..

Can LinQ to Twitter help me accomplish my goals?  If so what examples should I look to?  And if not can anyone give me some tips on what direction I should go to accomplish integration.

Thank you,

Trevor 

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Hi Trevor,

What you'll get with LINQ to Twitter is the ability to send and receive information to/from Twitter. Essentially, it's an easier way to interact with the Twitter API.

Once you have the data, you'll need to write code that manipulates the data however your program works. The code you write depends on the technology you want to use for your application. For example, you could use WPF for desktop apps or ASP.NET MVC for Web apps. You can also build Windows 8 or Windows Phone apps. Each of these technologies are different and you can study how to use them to work with data.

What type of application do you want to build? Maybe I or someone else can point you in the right direction.

If you're brand new, I have a community site, named C# Station that has beginner level tutorials for C# and links to more resources.

@JoeMayo

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Joe Mayo,

Thank you for your response, I am interested in web development and am just learning ASP.NET MVC.  I will take a look at your C# tutorials and LINQ to Twitter.

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I have some ASP.NET MVC samples here too: http://linqtotwitter.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=LINQ%20to%20Twitter%20Samples&referringTitle=Home.