ASP.NET Control for Timeline / Tweet Searches

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Edited Apr 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Before I go off and build my own, are there any ASP.NET controls out there to show a twitter search/timeline that can bind directly to LINQ to Twitter datatypes / queries?

Ideal would be one that emulates twitter's Embedded Timelines as close as possible (user avatars, intents for tweet / retweet, follows twitter design guidelines, etc).
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I don't know of any. That said, it would be pretty useful to have one. A couple days ago, I was trying to style Twitter's embedded timeline and found out that it's built into an iframe, thus preventing customization beyond what they allow. Curious if you encountered this too as your motivation for a custom control?

If you do one, let me know and I'll add a link to it.

@JoeMayo
Apr 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Haha, yeah you read my mind as to my motivation. Unfortunately I've not been able to find anything, but if I do I will certainly come back and update this post.
Jul 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Having been contacted through codeplex about the results of my search, I figured I'd put the reply here for all to benefit from:

Unfortunately I did not find anything and ended up rolling my own. The code is not mine to share, but I can tell you the basic process I followed. Basically I created an "embedded timeline" on twitter and then copied out the HTML / CSS that it generated. From there I converted that into a ListView by substituting the twitter dynamic fields and classnames with .net controls and/or inline binding. I think there was probably header and footer items that aso got placed into their respective ListView templates.

From there it was just figuring out how to get LinqToTwitter to pull the information I needed and binding that to the listview.

In order to prevent blowing through the available twitter hits I cached the results from LinqToTwitter into asp.net application cache with sliding expiration of 5 minutes or something.

It has worked really well so far. Hope this helps.