Rate Limit Issues

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Hello all,
Recently, my application UnfollowSpy, an unfollower tracking app for Windows phone, has received a few error reports from people with large accounts, saying that their large accounts won't refresh. I asked them if they received an error while refreshing that had something to do with "rate limit" and they said yes. So I know that the issue is occurring because I am simply unable to download their entire following and friends social graphs due to rate limits. I am using cursors and it's working great, but just not for these large accounts.
Are there any possible ways to work around this issue? At first, I was thinking to download data until a rate limit error occurs, then ask the user to come back in 15 minutes to download the rest. But this wouldn't be very user friendly...
If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Many thanks,
Elliott
Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:47 AM
Hi Elliott,

I'm guessing that you're using SocialGraph. You may have done this already, but make sure you set the Count property to 5000.

@JoeMayo
Jan 13, 2014 at 6:17 AM
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the response! And sorry for not being more clear. Yes, I'm using SocialGraph. I did not set the Count property, but I don't think that is the issue. It refreshes fine for regular accounts. But if the user has, say, 100K followers, that is where the error occurs. As Twitter's rate limits only allow 15 calls per 15 minutes, only 75K (5000 x 15) IDs could possibly be downloaded at once. Thus, a rate limit error will occur when trying to receive all 100K IDs.
This is less of a Linq2Twitter issue and more of a Twitter API issue.
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to download all 100K IDs, working around the error that will occur after the first 75K IDs are downloaded.

Thank you for your help!
Elliott
Jan 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM
the only way around this is to host part of the app on server side and instead of showing the user the result every 15 minutes it should be every hour . so the server part will take care of downloading the whole list within that hour and user can see the result each hour . you shouldn't allowed the user to refresh the data .

i don't know about windows Phone but if you think its possible to make your app working in the background all the time no matter what then there is no need to server side

there is no other way around this other then what i mention
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:41 AM
Hello Flexair,
I had not thought about this before. It seems like a good way to go about downloading the entire user's account. However, as there is such a small user base that is in fact experiencing this issue, I don't know if it would be worth all the hassle. Implementing a background agent in Windows Phone is possible, but again, it would be a lot of work and would have to be done every single time the user refreshes their account.

Thank you for your response!
Elliott