PIN Authorization is really necessary?

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Hi Joe!

My new Twitter client for Windows Phone 8 is quite ready and full of features thanks to your great API library.
Thank you very much. All is working great and I'm using latest build with async/await .

Now to the question.

I know that you have already covered this question but to me it sounds weird that on Windows Phone 8 your library can connect to Twitter only using PIN authorization.

This is because I guess how other apps can login without PIN !!!

Am I missing something ? I hope I'm not posting a silly question but remember that you voted for authentication broker feature to be implemented for Windows Phone.

Thank you in advance Joe.

Alessandro
Mar 17, 2014 at 3:04 AM
Joe ,

I reply to my own question :)

I was missing XAITH authentication! But I know that I have to request first Twitter permission.

So I guess that it's more convenient to publish my app with Oauth and PIN authentication then request Twitter permission to use XAUTH.

Btw, I was reading in the documentation online of Linq2Twitter that with XAUTH we may use the following example:
            var auth = new XAuthAuthorizer
            {
                Credentials = new XAuthCredentials
                {
                    ConsumerKey = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["twitterConsumerKey"],
                    ConsumerSecret = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["twitterConsumerSecret"],
                    UserName = "YourUserName",
                    Password = "YourPassword"
                }
            };
Now the question is: how to read Username and Password of User? I'm too used to authenticate on Twitter website itself with only my username and password without the app know of these data. May be it is necessary to catch something on the querystring on the url after logged on ?

So even though it seems that XAUTH may be better than OATH with PIN , I Always guess how the other Windows Phone apps authenticate simply on Twitter website without PIN and without the app itself requesting username & password.

Hope you help me and clear my mind :)

Thanks in advance.

Alessandro