OAuth library

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I think the library you've built here is excellent.  I was wondering if there was any interest in integrating with and using the DotNetOpenAuth library rather than supporting an internal OAuth implementation?  Would a contributor willing to do the work be interesting?  If so, I'd be willing to volunteer, and we could get a link to your project from the DotNetOpenAuth project web site and samples to refer people to this excellent Twitter client that uses the library.

Motive disclaimer: I'm behind the DotNetOpenAuth project.

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Sounds good; I think it will be useful to have integration with a library that keeps up with the standards. I've added you as a developer.

Thanks,

Joe

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Awesome.  Any special steps you want me to take prior to checkins?

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 1:14 AM
Edited Jun 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Here's my check-in sequence:

1. Ensure your code builds, unit tests run without error, and that your changes work prior to check-in.

2. Do a Get Latest. Some people don't like this part because they are afraid of getting code that isn't compatible with thiers. However, it is always better for a single individual to resolve incompatible changes than to hose the entire team by checking in code that doesn't build or is incorrect.

3. Ensure your code compiles, unit tests run without error, and that your code runs with code downloaded from the Get Latest. It's possible that some of your code doesn't work with what was in source control, so you'll need to resolve the issues.

4. Once your code builds and your changes execute properly, you can check in.

Assuming that each developer does the same thing, this sequence goes a long way toward ensuring that no single developer breaks the build.

Joe

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Makes perfect sense.  I consider what you've outlined to be a minimum bar, and I'm happy to comply.

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM

One of the things you'll notice in the code comments is that I give credit to sources. You'll probably want to update the comments to show your contributions where DotNetOauth is integrated. I'll need to update the main page to include credits also.

Thanks,

Joe

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Yes, I have noticed that, and that you comment liberally everywhere else, use best practices and patterns everywhere as well. It should be a pleasure to contribute to your source tree. :)