oAuth and "oauth_verifier" param for PIN

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I was looking over the Desktop Client requirements for using oAuth and it seems there is a "PIN" number concept that needs to be sent from the client to twitter before things will work -- See step 6 below

1. The application uses oauth/request_token to obtain a request token from twitter.com.
  2. The application directs the user to oauth/authorize on twitter.com.
  3. After obtaining approval from the user, a prompt on twitter.com will display a 6 digit PIN.
  4. The user is instructed to copy this PIN and return to the appliction.
  5. The application will prompt the user to enter the PIN from step 4.
  6. The application uses the PIN as the value for the oauth_verifier parameter in a call to oauth/access_token which will verify the PIN and exchange a request_token for an access_token.
  7. Twitter will return an access_token for the application to generate subsequent OAuth signatures.

My question is,  I cannot seem how to set this using LinqToTwitter.  Anyone have any advice?

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Yes: sit tight. :)

What you're describing is OAuth 1.0a.  And LinqToTwitter will shortly move to DotNetOpenAuth for its OAuth support, which will implicitly get you this PIN behavior.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Ok that explains it.  Sounds like a cool idea -- the switch over.

Question:  Do you think you will get it done in the next few days?  If not, I'll go ahead and implmenet PIN support now and upgrade to you new release later.

Thanks again!

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I just saw the newly updated source -- nice work!  I like what you have done.

I'll be testing it out this weekend.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Glad you like it.  Let us know how it works for you.