Mvc Auth breaks compile if MVC not installed

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:19 AM

I noticed that the latest addition of the Mvc Auth causes the build to break if the MVC framework is not installed -- this made me wonder about the idea of moving all of the Authentication providers into satelite assemblies.  Any thoughts on this?

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 2:17 AM

My initial thoughts are what is the developer experience for finding and building the authentication provider code if it isn't in the LinqToTwitter project?  Do most developers have MVC installed or not? I'm not sure, but I would lean toward a solution that makes it easiest for most developers.  Don't want to shoot down good ideas; just want to think it through.

Maybe more documentation and referring the developer to where they can find MVC would help too?

BTW, you're welcome to contribute, just let me know and I'll add you to the project.

Joe

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:37 AM

maybe the folder of "Resources" require to add System.Web.Mvc.dll or download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=53289097-73ce-43bf-b6a6-35e00103cb4b&displaylang=en

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I think a "how to build" file of some sort sitting next to the sln file is a good idea.  And/or we could have a wiki page here describing what the prerequisites are.

Also, since MVC was released as open source itself, I think we can just check-in the MVC.dll so that it will build even if the developer doesn't have MVC installed.

What do you think?

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Agreed!

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Sounds like a good idea

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Joe, I'd be happy to help out with the project -- I really like what you have started.

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Andrew, I think we all agree - thanks.

Ravensorb, would you like to take this one?  I added the issue here: http://linqtotwitter.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=23602

Joe

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I'd be happy to -- I checked in the updates earlier today.

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Ravensorb, Awesome, Thanks!