Using a localhost Callback URL and 401 Error

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I was having problems with the 401 error and like many others followed the FAQ with no success.

The solution for me was to add the callback url in the twitter api setup as after which everything worked fine. I don't think it can be empty and still specify a callback URL which is used in the L2T authorization. After adding a URL in the api setup on dev.twitter it now redirects to the submitted callback URL on CompleteAuthorization(Request.URI).

I'm posting this as I have yet to find the correct answer in any of the issues/discussions in the so it can help others out. It was driving me crazy.
Oct 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Thanks for the input. The 401 is definitely the most onerous problem that people encounter.

On the 4th bullet down on the FAQ, I have this:
_Make sure you've entered a Callback URL for your Twitter application at the Twitter developer site (
Maybe I'll review the FAQ to see if it can be organized better or made clearer. Suggestions are welcome.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
It's important to point out that Twitter won't let you use http://localhost as your callback URL so you may want to include the I posted for anyone who does not have a domain that they can use as a place holder. If people are using the samples, I don't think there are comments stated that this needs to be there.

Thanks for all your work Joe.
Oct 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Added - Thanks!